DISCLAIMER

This blog, "Vanuatu Adventures", is simply my personal reflection and in no way represents the opinions or beliefs of the Peace Corps or the US Government. Enjoy - and I hope to hear from you!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

SITE ANNOUNCEMENTS - GOODBYE EKIPE…FINAL EXAMS…AND SWEARING-IN

Although there were some moments when I wondered what the heck I was doing here and whether or not I had a brain in my head for following this dream (when at times it felt like a nightmare), I made it through pre-service training (PST) in Ekipe. Don’t get me wrong, the people were absolutely wonderful to me – and I had it no worse than anybody else in PST – but nonetheless, it was sometimes a struggle.



Things as simple as walking to class each day were a challenge. Honestly, the paths were quite primitive and were embedded with things like tree roots, large rocks, or coral – just waiting to trip the unwary walker. Add to that the occasional wild pigs, chickens, or cows that you had to look out for and it’s an accident waiting to happen!


Those of you who know me already understand that my middle name is “Klutz” – well, let’s just say that I earned it many times over in Ekipe! I’ll never forget the day that our site assignments were announced. Everybody had speculated the entire 8 weeks about where we would be assigned, so site announcement day was something to behold. We all gathered at the Ekipe Community Center and were huddled together on mats while the Country Director called out each person’s name and announced where they would be working. There were smiles (some genuine/some frozen on the face), gasps of surprise or dismay, and lots of laughter and hugs – followed by the reality that OH MY GOD – we are each heading out on our own now!! Some wonderful friendships have been formed throughout training, and we are all counting on that to get us through the next two years. Thankfully, the local cell phone provider – Digicel – has made an arrangement with Peace Corps for “Team Talk” wherein we can call each other and talk as long as we want without being charged for the minutes used. So that will be a God-send. However, the other reality is that some people will be in remote locales with spotty cell coverage – difficulty in finding a way to even charge their cell phones – and some will have to rely on satellite phones. So, it will be a bit of a learning curve and adjustment as reality sets in for all of us.


Just after the announcement, I was dashing back to my bungalow to tell my Mama and Papa that I would be stationed in Port Vila (they had prayed for that every day for the last 3 weeks). Well, rather than carefully watching where I was walking – I was “dashing” while trying to call my family on the phone – and at the same time flagging down a fellow volunteer ahead of me on the trail. Yep, you can picture it…the next thing I knew I was flat on the ground – arms skinned from the wrist to elbow and both knees banged up. The only thing I was worried about was whether or not my cell phone was working since it was in 2 pieces on the ground! Well, the good news is that the cell phone did work after reassembly – and the better news is that after some scrubbing with betadine and bandaging, I was also good to go!!


After site announcements, we had about a week left in our respective villages. Saturday evening, October 30th, each village had a big send off for its volunteers. The chief reflected on what it meant to the village to have volunteers in its midst, and I was asked to say a few words on behalf of our group in Ekipe. Then each volunteer was called forward when his or her family spoke about their 8 weeks with the volunteer and presented each with parting gifts – typically a mat, a swath of fabric (kaliko), a lovely flower lei, and sometimes some other handmade items. Each member of the family then embraced their volunteer. It was terribly emotional – we were their son or daughter going off to another place. It didn’t matter that I was nearly 20 years older than my Mama and Papa, I was still their daughter. After the formalities, we enjoyed a big feast, string music, dancing, and much merriment. Then just as we were ready to head home, it started the thunder, lightning, and rain began.


Sunday morning dawned along with torrential downpours of rain. Fortunately I brought a rain parka that covers my backpack, so after a breakfast of crackers and tea, we made our way to the church with all my stuff where it would be picked up by a truck for transport to Port Vila. Then we all met once again at the community center for yet another tearful goodbye. By the time we left Ekipe on Sunday morning, we were exhausted and ready for some rest.


But it was Halloween – so a party was being planned at a saloon just outside of Port Vila. Yes – I said a saloon. A couple from Colorado opened a micro-brewery, saloon, and restaurant on the outskirts of town, so a Halloween party was scheduled there that evening. Some volunteers went off to the party, while others (me and a few other volunteers) walked to a lovely restaurant on the water and had a couple bottles of wine with a fabulous dinner. It felt so luxurious – and so wonderful to have successfully moved to the next phase of Peace Corps. We had made it…now we just had to get through the exams prior to Swearing In.


Spread over the next couple of days, we had two written exams – one covering medical issues and one covering safety and security. Then we each had a one-on-one oral Bislama interview/exam. I’m happy to say that I passed everything and was heading off to Swearing-In!


November 4th – Swearing-In – dawned sunny and hot. But thankfully, it wasn’t raining! Each village decided to select a specific color and print fabric and have matching island dresses and shirts sewn for the Mama, Papa, and volunteer. So, it was a site to behold to sit up on the stage at Swearing In and look out over the crowd to spot the swaths of color-coded villagers with big smiles beaming back at us. Peace Corps provided transportation for families from each village into Port Vila. Despite the sweltering heat inside the building, everything went well. There were numerous speakers, but at last the big moment arrived. We all stood solemnly and repeated the oath after a Peace Corps Regional Director from Washington, DC. I recited the oath as follows:


I, Carla Sanda, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, domestic or foreign, that I take this obligation freely, and without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge my duties in the Peace Corps, so help me God.

Whoa – suddenly it all paid off. We had our certificates, our official Peace Corps pin, and we were now sworn to service. We made it!! Hip-hip hooorayyyy for Group 23!! (Although, I'm still worried about the part that says that I will "defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies..." I think I might need something bigger than a bush knife!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment